You’re creative. You’ve got experience. You work well with others, even when there’s a friendly difference of opinion. What you need is a job where your independent thought is valued, and your bona fide collaborative talents round out a team of spirited professionals much like yourself. Sound like the workplace for you? Then check out our current opportunities and let us hear from you.
Job Title: Director of Business Development
Summary: The Director of Business Development is responsible for the shaping and nurturing of a secure client base through an effective and well-managed sales program – in short, for leading a business development program focused on aligning our value proposition to prospective “client fits”, accurately identifying a prospect’s pain points and aligning our capacity to assist in overcoming issues, therefore enhancing the predictability of their business success.
The Director of Business Development is responsible for leadership on all aspects of the sales process including:
- Identify, qualify and develop new sales leads
- Keep sales channel full of qualified prospects moving through at all times
- Present appropriate and relevant agency capabilities
- Coordinate and prepare proposals to clients
- Discover and define emerging market opportunities, identify new service offering opportunities that enhance and expand our capability
- Lead in development and execution of BD marketing strategies
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Selling for Brand Directions is not about selling units or telling prospective customers how wonderful we are, rather we are “selling” solutions – as defined by our ability to listen and extract important data from prospects, and respond with effective “problem–solved” solutions to their marketing or packaging activities.
A business development professional has these principle responsibilities:
- Identifying and qualify new sales leads
- Research organizations and individuals (online/social media) to identify and qualify new leads and potential markets – capitalize on new and emerging opportunities
- Define “real” purchasing decision makers and “real” needs of a prospect
- Outreach/contact with potential clients (email, in person, or by phone) to set up 1:1 meetings
- Planning/oversight of agency sales and marketing initiatives and materials
- Attend conferences, meetings, and trade/industry events representing BD
- Pitching capabilities
- Preparing (PPT) capability presentations and proposals tailored to address defined prospect needs
- Outreach to prospects on industry trends, news and competitive insight
- Develop pitches, proposals and quotes partnering with internal teams
- Monitor progress against sales goals, ensuring they are achieved
- Ensure seamless transition of new business prospect to agency client (account management)
- Relationship management
- Maintain ongoing relationships with prospects that become clients – ensure ongoing satisfaction
- Demonstrate superior listening and communication skills (internal and external teams)
- In-depth knowledge of prospects business, products, markets and industry trends
- Ability to extract, understand and interpret client pain points – responding accurately
- Ability to respond and brainstorm solutions to problems on the fly
- Ability to handle pressure and meet multiple, concurrent deadlines; skill in prioritizing and triaging obligations
- Attention to detail in all things
- Superior time management and organization
- Above-average writing/communication skills
- Administrative participation
- Utilize established agency systems to maintain an accurate and timely NBD database
- Provide regular accounting/reporting of progress against goals
- Practice and participate in established agency procedures and protocols
- Provide weekly reporting on progress to agency at large
- Develop research/internal briefs for key prospects/opportunities to team members
- Lead transfer of NBD accounts to the account service team
- Observe confidentiality of all client/agency activities and materials
- Balance mix/inflow of new business opportunities in keeping with business goals/objectives.
- Continually seek to improve systems, methodologies and tools, participating in and/or leading process improvement initiatives.
- Work with established agency CRM/Project Management software systems to record all contacts and activities when they occur.
- Demonstrate and model agency mission statement, vision and values. Maintain a high level of service and respect for all clients.
- Lead annual review and improvement of New Business Development Plan, including strategy, goals, tactics and timelines.
- Assist with the development of department annual budget, including metrics and reporting.
- Lead weekly new business download for all-agency Monday morning meetings and marketing team meetings.
- Contribute to positive work atmosphere in a customer service-focused approach, with customers, clients, co-workers and vendor partners.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibility at this time.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BS or BA) in marketing, communications, public relations, advertising or a related business program with 5-8 years of direct new business development experience.
- Demonstrated ability to meet sales goals.
- In-depth knowledge of agency capabilities and services.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills as well as strong presentation, and delivery skills. Ability to interact with all levels of employees, clients, and external contacts using tact and diplomacy.
- Strong organizational skills with the versatility and flexibility to meet shifting client (internal/external) needs and frequently changing priorities. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintain and instill confidential handling of all project-related materials.
- Willingness to work overtime as required based upon project needs and due dates.
- Strong leadership, relationship and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to travel up to 60% of the time.
Hours: Full-time Position (40+ hours a week)
Environment: Office Setting
Travel: Required (Wisconsin and surrounding region extending into northern Illinois)
Equipment Used: Phone, computer, copier, cell phone and presentation equipment
Full-Time Benefits offered:
- Paid time off
- Flexible hours
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Workplace perks such as coffee/massage/social committee activities and treats!
BrandDirections is an equal opportunity employer and a Woman-Owned Business
Please submit a resume to email@example.com
Nothing in this job description restricts the company’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.